Sunday, 21 April 2013

Distressed denim

Hi :) Well, I finished a few designs off yesterday so I'll get the pictures uploaded as soon as I can to show you and I have some ideas for new designs that I'll get working on next week. I do need some new polishes though as I've got NO untrieds left so any recommendations are welcome!

Today I have a 'denim effect' trial design to show you. I did this while I was waiting for nails inc to release their denim effect because they seemed to be taking SO long and I couldn't wait ;) I did this using a Sally Hansen polish called thinking of blue, a VERY cheap and horrid paint brush and some matte topcoat.


First I applied the blue polish to all of the nails and waited for it to dry completely. This polish is really nice, it applies well, it's a fab colour, the bottle is lovely AND I got it for £1! 


Once the first coat of polish had dried I applied a second, slightly thicker coat to all of the nails and waited for it to ALMOST dry. I then used a cheap, hard, straggly, thick paint brush and just gently dragged it across the polish from one top corner to the opposite bottom corner. I started at the top of the nail and worked down so in all I used two to three strokes of the brush per nail. You could still see some of the nails through the polish where the brush had dragged too much off, so we'll call this a distressed denim look and when I try it again I'll use three coats :D


When the second coat of polish had dried I used a matte topcoat because I didn't want shiny denim! I was reasonably happy with the result and I'll be adding in stitching, pockets and zips at some point which I'll show you. However I really hope the nails inc one is better ;)


Don't be distressed, Get Nailed ;)

Tara x

4 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to comment and please feel free to leave any relevant links :) x